Chemical Dependency


To access drug/alcohol treatment:
Call a Chemical Dependency Advocate for help with accessing drug/alcohol treatment
Apply for ADATSA coverage. VA will also cover treatment for Veterans.
While waiting for a bed, contact Oxford Homes.
Inpatient Treatment. (Longer is better!) Set up interview appointments with Oxford Homes as early as possible while in treatment.
Oxford Home and Outpatient Treatment.
Keep up with AA/NA and refer to “Income” chapter to work on developing an income.


Chris, of NW Resources, is an outreach worker for people experiencing chemical dependency.

Chris, NW Resources: 791-0263

Treatment Coverage


Alcohol and Drug Treatment Services Act
State administered drug/alcohol treatment coverage program.

What it does
-Offers medical coverage for drug/alcohol treatment
-May offer up to $339/month after completion of inpatient treatment

Application procedure
Fill out “Application for Benefits”
Turn in application at DSHS CSO (6860 Capitol Blvd) at 7:30 AM
Financial screening at DSHS CSO same day
Referral to St. Peter’s Chem. Dep. Center (SPCDC) for evaluation
SPCDC may refer to inpatient and/or outpatient treatment
Cash Benefits begin upon completion of inpatient treatment

Common Problems
Wait lists for treatment beds can be several weeks.
Most treatment facilities are ill equipped for people w/serious mental illness
If appropriate housing is unavailable upon release, there is greater risk of

Available Providers for ADATSA Assessments – Thurston County

Northwest Resources II Inc.
Phone: 360-943-8810  Fax: 360-943-0931
2708 Westmoor Court SW, Olympia
Assessments: Monday-Friday 9:00am to 3:00pm        No appointment necessary.
To problem solve, contact: Dennis Neal at 943-8810

Providence St. Peter Chemical Dependency Center
Phone: 360-456-7575 or 1-800-332-0465,  Fax: 360-493-5088
4800 College Street SE, Lacey, WA.
Orientation: Monday-Friday 8:15am with CSO referral form. No appointment necessary. Assessment appointments are scheduled at time of orientation: Monday-Friday 8:00am – 1:00pm
To problem solve, contact: Carol Calvin (CC) at 493-5018

Sea Mar Behavioral Health
Phone: 360-704-7590 English & En Espanol       Fax: 360-704-7592
409 Custer Way SW Suite D, Tumwater, WA.
Assessments call: 704-7590 to schedule. Assessment appointments are scheduled for:
Monday and Thursday – 9:00am, Wednesday – 10:00am
To problem solve, contact: Blanca Ibarra at 704-7590

Veterans Benefits

Call the Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System at 206-762-1010 to schedule an assessment.

Veterans’ benefits are available to those who have served in the armed forces, whether active duty or not, except for those who were dishonorably discharged. Some documentation is required to get in, including DD214 (discharge papers). Call the Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System at 206-762-1010 to schedule an assessment.

VA offers outpatient alcohol and drug treatment and detox services:
Outpatient: Counseling, monitored antabuse and Naltrexone
Methadone Replacement: Counseling, daily methadone dosing
Buprenorphine treatment

Treatment Centers


Inpatient Programs

St Peter’s Chemical Dependecy Center – Lacey, WA: 456 7575
Pioneer Center North – Sedro Wooley, WA: (360) 856-3186
Sundown Rehab (alcohol) – Yakima, WA: (509) 457-0990
Tacoma Detox: (253) 593-2413 – no opiates
Seattle Detox: (206) 325-5000
Evergreen Manor: (425)258-2407

Out-patient Programs

St. Peter’s Chemical Dependency Center
(360) 456-7575. 4800 College st Lacey, WA 98503
Operates inpatient and outpatient services. Thurston County’s primary chemical dependency treatment center.
Behavioral Health Resources (BHR)
704-7170. 317 4th Ave. E, Olympia
Need “CNP medical coupon” or sliding scale payment. Not covered by GAU. Call for an appointment. You will be asked detailed information about your drug use during the phone interview.
Several outpatient programs:
Harvest Program: for pregnant and parenting women.
Deferred Prosecution Program: alternative to jail
Intensive Outpatient Program
Relapse Prevention Group: for those who have succeeded in kicking the habit to help keep things that way.
Co-Occurring Program: Intensive outpatient treatment for those with Mental Health Problems in addition to Drug or Alcohol problems.

Seamar Behavioral Health:
570-8258, 409 Custer Way suite D Tumwater 98501.
NOTES: Only for Spanish speaking people with substance abuse problems. They will do initial evaluation on others but refer them elsewhere for treatment.

Support Groups

Alcoholics Anonymous
352-7344. 203 4th Ave E. suite 313 Olympia 98501 (corner of Washington and 4th)
Support group for people recovering from alcoholism

Narcotics Anonymous
Support group for people recovering from chemical dependence. (for any drugs of abuse, not just narcotics)

Family/Friends of Addicts
Support for family and friends of alcoholics and addicts.

Recovery Housing

Oxford Homes
-Self-run, communal “Halfway” homes for people recovering from addiction
-Requires 30 days clean & sober, relapse results in expulsion
-Rooms for men, women, & families at roughly half a dozen houses across the county
-Rent is $325-$385 per month
-Can stay as long as needed if clean & sober, average stay is one year.

Call Thurston County Chapter at 360 539-7816

Harm Reduction Programs

Needle Exchange
Thurston County Health Department
[on the web]
(360) 280-6746
Needle exchange and hepatitis A and B vaccines at the downtown office. Located at 325 4th Ave (at Adams). Hours: tues and thurs 2-7 pm.

Methadone Replacement
South Sound Methadone Clinic
[on the web]
413-6910, 6700 Martin Way E. Olympia 98516

Only has methadone clinic. NO other services. Call for appointment. Intake worker will ask questions over phone. Accept “medicaid CNP coupons”, but there is a several month wait for medicaid spots. They also accept GAX but not GAU. Self pay or insurance there is no wait.